Friday 29 January 2016

Artist Research: British Landscape

After exploring ideas of creating servants of the queen I looked into a couple of political artists who I think could influence my style and how I design my creatures.

Ralph Heimans



Ralph Heimans is an Australian portrait painter most known for his portraits of high standing individuals such as royalty, politicians and well respected members of several artistic fields. He a few years ago, in 2013, Heimans painted a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II for her Diamond Jubilee. This particular painting of the queen is different from the usual. She is looking down, covering herself with a long cape. This portrayal of the Queen seems very humanising, she looks almost vulnerable. The long cape flows out and around, seeming to come directly under the viewers feet, making the viewer feel like they have just intruded on a private moment. A small time of reflection on her life, and now we’re stepping on her cape and it leaves me in unease. This painting was first displayed in the National Portrait Gallery of Australia and was later moved to Westminster Abbey as a part of their permanent collection. While at the Abbey in June 2013 it was vandalised by a man from an unofficial protest group Fathers 4 Justice. The painting was then restored and back on display in July the same year. I chose this painting to research because of how humanising it is of the Queen, she seems to have flaws, it paints her in a new light, which is what I am going to be doing. Although my portrayal of her will be through her subjects and it is not a pretty picture.




Gerald Scarfe
Scarfe is an English cartoonist and illustrator, most known for his political cartoons for The Sunday Times and The New Yorker. He also worked as a concept artist for the Disney film Hercules, designing some characters and monsters.











His works are drawn in ink and pen then coloured using watercolour paints, usually they are the size of an A1 piece of paper. Whenever I want to create a caricature, or design a unique character, I think back to Scarfes pieces, his exaggeration of certain parts of anatomy are perfect for making a stunningly different character, here are a few sketches I did that were inspired by his work. I tried to replicate the smoothness of his lines and excellent use of expression. I'm hoping to take inspiration from his odd looking creatures and caricatures to help make my own designs for the Queens subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment