Tuesday 24 May 2016

FMP Evaluation

My final piece consists of a leather bound book in which is an illustrated version of J K Rowlings 'The Fountain of Fair Fortune' from her small series of fairy tales 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard'. As well as two digitally coloured prints of two of the illustrations inside the book.

I took inspiration from Rowlings book itself as there are a few sparse illustrations that were hand drawn by the author herself. These drawings are fairly simple and adorned with flower motifs. I wanted to go into ore detail with my illustrations and be even more creative with unique designs.

If I were to do this again I'd manage my time more effectively, spending less time on development to give myself more time with the creation of the final piece. Which is a point that was brought up by one of my peers, he said that I put my all into making good development, leaving myself with no time or artistic energy for the final piece. I feel that had I been more efficient with my time then I would have been able to make my book better.

Originally I was planning to write everything in the book with pen, but I did not give myself enough time, which is why the writing is in pencil while the illustrations are in pen. This bring up another problem that I had, the pen is fairly visible through the backside of the paper, making the writing hard to read. The pen also smudged easily as the paper is not that absorbent. In hind sight I would have forgotten about the pen and created it all in pencil.The fact that both the front and back covers of the book are not flat was the leading cause of my illustrations being messy and sketchy because I could not make clean and clear lines.

My first tries at my digital pieces were complete failures, so I pulled an all-nighter, drawing two much better illustrations that showcase my digital skills in a good light. I am proud of my digital drawings but am disappointed with how my book turned out, however I did like my typography with the title and the 'The End' page, I think it looks clean and professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment